A good friend of mine has decided that even in the absence of a laundry service he will use cloth diapers for his baby to be.
In jest and fun, here was my response:
Let me err on the side of a--hole and say...good luck with the cloth diapers. You are a better man than I. I can handle a great many things and I have handled a great many things, but if there is one thing I can't stand it's handling the feces of another human being.
Sure it's kind of cute for the first couple weeks when the poo-poos are tar based and there is not much of a smell to them. Then they turn mustard yellow with the consistency of fresh diarrhea. It only gets worse from there. As the all breast milk diet gives way to the introduction of various pureed food you are greeted each day with a kaleidescope of color, texture and excruciating smells.
I can't imagine the delight of getting the chance, no, the opportunity to revisit this gift that keeps on giving when it's time to wash the diaper. And because I know you both lead busy lives, Mr. superman reporter and beautiful school teacher, many of these delightful treasures will have the time they need to fully develop and ripen. If there is one thing I know, it's that the only thing worse than a stinky dump filled diaper, is a day old stinky dump filled diaper.
So, tonight when unfurl my son's latest treat from his non-biodegradable disposable diaper , wipe his tiny butt and place the diaper in an airtight safeway grocery sack and tie it in a knot, I will think of you. And I will know that you are a better man than I.
Monday, April 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Did you know that even with disposable you are supposed to clean out/off the diapers before you throw them away?!!
Love,
Tonya
Oh my gosh. I am cracking up. It's so true,and truly so disgusting. I actually had AJ pull Fiona's first diaper out of the trash so I could see it. Of course I also ate a mayonnaise turkey sandwich right after delivery so I was clearly not myself. But that was the first- and last time I actually chose to revisit the scene of the grime. In Chicago it's so flat there we would go cross county skiing at thegolf course and we would go sledding on a hill that we affectionally called trash mountain. Sure, it looked like dirt and grass (and snow)as long as you didn't dig too deep. So when I am sending my trash to the dump that is once again filled halfway with diapers. I like to think of all those children that without me could be deprived of some basic joys of chilhood. And that's when I smile. And when I read your blog...I laugh until I cry.
Just a quick Hi!
Your discription is pretty accurate. And by the way, this friend of yours that is considering cloth diapers...You might give him my phone #. I had the very privilege of having cloth diapers as an absolute necessity for 5 children and beleive me when # six arrived, I couldn't get to the store fast enough to purchase the first disposable.
You for got to mention the diaper pail that sets in some room of the house soaking those diapers, after the first rinsing prior to the actual washing and drying and folding process and the fact that you must either wash in purex or borateem to eliminate the yellow stains that will cover the diaper eventually and the fact that unless you want to be wet and have a wet baby, car seat crib etc.etc. You'll need to put plastic panties over the diaper or wool soaker panties. (which, by the way get so hot in the dryer they quickly become hard and crunchy instead of soft and supple.Oh yes not to mention that when you are out for the day or weekend that you get to carry those dirty diapers home with you to be washed. Yeh, it is great.
By the way, if Al Gore has anything to do with this decision, I might suggest that water and electricity are also a condideration in the equation. Not to mention soap, bleach and fabric softener.
Besides which fact in most cases Mommy is the diaper changer about 90% of the time.
Give her a break, for heavens sake.
Some things from "the good old days" are just better left alone.
Cloth diapers make very nice burp rags and nursing privacy shields, light weight receiveing blankets and by the way they are great scrubbing rags.
May your friend be blessed in his role as parent and lets hope he comes to his senses, before the blessed event.
Love Ya
Mom
Its not so bad - as long as a service is involved. they have a few new inventions to make it a bit easier, insert folded diaper into cover, velcro cover closed. To change its unvelcro, wipe, toss diaper into pail, repeat putting on. Service picks up and does the rest, literally. My toddler (who also has excema) is in them too, and if its not stuck I dump it in the toilet for my convenience. I have had 2 babies with bad excema and I was advised to cut back on chemicals in contact with skin. Since the most recent child is way worse off with it, I decided to listen. I used to be a naysayer too, but with these circumstances its hardly a hardship
When we're rushing to the store to pick up the super-sized bag of Huggies, I will come back and let you all have one big resounding "we told you so!"
Hoping not to give you the pleasure, of course, but I know when I'm tilting at windmills.
P.S. I just happened to be watching "Martha Stewart" (who would guess?) In her recognition of earthday, she had an energy conservationest as her guest.
They introduced a cute little panty for babies with a completely flushable liner.
I don't remember the web page refered to (as I am over -- yrs).
However you can access this information at Martha Stewart.com (I know everybody is'nt in love with her.
However she has some good segments with good info.
Happy diapering to Eric's friend
Post a Comment